- Perform computational analyses on Big Data to generate meaningful results
- Get a practical knowledge of R programming language while working on Big Data platforms like Hadoop, Spark, H2O and SQL/NoSQL databases,
- Explore fast, streaming, and scalable data analysis with the most cutting-edge technologies in the market
Big Data analytics is the process of examining large and complex data sets that often exceed the computational capabilities. R is a leading programming language of data science, consisting of powerful functions to tackle all problems related to Big Data processing.
The book will begin with a brief introduction to the Big Data world and its current industry standards. With introduction to the R language and presenting its development, structure, applications in real world, and its shortcomings. Book will progress towards revision of major R functions for data management and transformations. Readers will be introduce to Cloud based Big Data solutions (e.g. Amazon EC2 instances and Amazon RDS, Microsoft Azure and its HDInsight clusters) and also provide guidance on R connectivity with relational and non-relational databases such as MongoDB and HBase etc. It will further expand to include Big Data tools such as Apache Hadoop ecosystem, HDFS and MapReduce frameworks. Also other R compatible tools such as Apache Spark, its machine learning library Spark MLlib, as well as H2O.
What you will learn
- Learn about current state of Big Data processing using R programming language and its powerful statistical capabilities
- Deploy Big Data analytics platforms with selected Big Data tools supported by R in a cost-effective and time-saving manner
- Apply the R language to real-world Big Data problems on a multi-node Hadoop cluster, e.g. electricity consumption across various socio-demographic indicators and bike share scheme usage
- Explore the compatibility of R with Hadoop, Spark, SQL and NoSQL databases, and H2O platform
About the Author
Simon Walkowiak is a cognitive neuroscientist and a managing director of Mind Project Ltd – a Big Data and Predictive Analytics consultancy based in London, United Kingdom. As a former data curator at the UK Data Service (UKDS, University of Essex) – European largest socio-economic data repository, Simon has an extensive experience in processing and managing large-scale datasets such as censuses, sensor and smart meter data, telecommunication data and well-known governmental and social surveys such as the British Social Attitudes survey, Labour Force surveys, Understanding Society, National Travel survey, and many other socio-economic datasets collected and deposited by Eurostat, World Bank, Office for National Statistics, Department of Transport, NatCen and International Energy Agency, to mention just a few. Simon has delivered numerous data science and R training courses at public institutions and international companies. He has also taught a course in Big Data Methods in R at major UK universities and at the prestigious Big Data and Analytics Summer School organized by the Institute of Analytics and Data Science (IADS).
Table of Contents
- The Era of Big Data
- Introduction to R Programming Language and Statistical Environment
- Unleashing the Power of R from Within
- Hadoop and MapReduce Framework for R
- R with Relational Database Management Systems (RDBMSs)
- R with Non-Relational (NoSQL) Databases
- Faster than Hadoop – Spark with R
- Machine Learning Methods for Big Data in R
- The Future of R – Big, Fast, and Smart Data
Mehr auf Amazon: